- Unlike for-profit hospitals, which send local profits to headquarters and investors outside the region, Sarasota Memorial reinvests in care for our community. Examples of new programs to serve our growing community’s changing needs include:
- North Port freestanding ER (Opened in 2009): Staffed 24/7 by board-certified emergency physicians, the ER is part of an outpatient medical campus that includes radiology, a lab, rehab, physician offices and community programs.
- Venice Urgent Care and Health Center (2013) and Bee Ridge Urgent Care Center (2014): Just like our three other Urgent Care Centers conveniently located around the region, the Venice and Bee Ridge facilities are open extended hours 7 days/week. Another Urgent Care Center will open on St. Armands in fall of 2016.
- Courtyard Tower/surgery addition (2014): Replaced aging buildings on our main campus with state-of-the-art, patient-friendly facilities.
- New Pediatrics Unit (2014): The new area, which replaced a 60s-era unit, includes treatment rooms, Brian Johnson music room and play areas designed for children.
- Trauma Center (2015): SMH is the only trauma provider in Sarasota County, providing the highest level of care to severely injured patients across the region.
- Rehabilitation Pavilion (opening late 2016): Replacing a 30-year-old nursing area, the new pavilion will have 44 private rooms specially designed for patients recovering from injury and illness and room to expand as patient numbers grow.
- Residency Program (launching in 2017): Sarasota Memorial expanded its academic partnership with the FSU College of Medicine to create a new internal medicine residency program. When it reaches capacity in year 3, the program will produce 13 new internal medicine specialists a year and help address physician shortages. The physician residents also will develop long-term relationships with underserved patients at a new Internal Medicine practice in Newtown.
- Proposed new hospital on Laurel Road in south Sarasota County (2019 pending state approval): The new 100-bed hospital, located right off I-75, will give south county residents a closer, convenient option for high-quality care.
In addition to improving quality and access to care, these new facilities and services provide a major economic boost for the region and create local jobs.
Only Provider of Complex Care and Essential Services:
- Sarasota Memorial is the only nationally recognized, state-certified Comprehensive Stroke Center in Southwest Florida, providing the most advanced treatment options.
- SMH’s partnership with Columbia University in New York provides the most comprehensive and advanced cardiovascular services in the region and gives patients and physicians access to the latest treatment options.
- Sarasota Memorial is the only provider of essential safety-net services that other hospitals in the county have chosen not to offer, including maternity services, neonatal intensive care, pediatric services and psychiatric care for patients of all ages.
- The cost of our charity care, bad debts and other community programs is close to $100 million annually. We provide over 85% of the combined Medicaid / Charity Care days among all the Sarasota County hospitals.
- Despite offering the highest level of care, SMH charges far less than other hospitals in Sarasota County and below the state average, according to state data.
- The Hospital Board lowered its property tax rate by 3.1 percent in 2016 after keeping the same rate for six straight years. Taxes make up about 6.5 percent of the hospital’s revenue. Strong patient volumes combined with ongoing cost controls and efficiency measures allow us to reduce taxes while continuing to meet community needs.
Update from Nelson Lane 4.11.16
- Tax revenues represented 6.2% of total revenue in fy15. It is expected to be 6.0% of total revenue in fy16.
- Total fy15 revenue, including tax revenue, investment income and other non-operating revenue was $720.4 million.
- Total fy15 operating expense, including interest expense was $604.2 million.
- We received $45.0 million in net tax revenue in fy15 and expect $46.6 million in fy16.